Your sofa set sees plenty of action, every day. You cuddle up with your partner in your favourite loveseat or armchair to talk about your day. The dogs jump on your leather sofa – when you’re at work, of course. The kids spend hours fighting over the remote and re-watching Frozen on the corner sofa. And then there’s all the snacking, especially now that its winter and you want to enjoy your meals in comfort in front of the TV. Now, if you’re removing those cushion covers from your sofa couch every other day and tossing them in the wash that’s great. But it isn’t nearly enough. It might take care of the stuff that gets ON your couch – but what about the stuff IN your couch?
Dust mites will breed in any warm and humid environment, and cheap sofas fit the bill. In fact, despite your best efforts, if you are like the average person then your settee has more germs, allergens and dust than your loo seat! A study by Domestos and UNICEF reveals that most people have grubbier remote controls, sofas and living rooms than on their bathroom, bedroom and dining room furniture sets as these areas are usually only deep cleaned when something is spilt or dropped. Even worse, some viruses can live for hours on non-absorbent surfaces (such as leather sectional sofas), increasing risk of contamination.
The good news is that keeping your couch clean isn’t that difficult, and all it takes is developing a few good habits to keep them that way.
- Use a dehumidifier – dust mites are big culprits when it comes to allergies. Reducing the humidity in a room will make it inhospitable for their survival.
- Wash your hands – yes, we know you’ve heard it a million times before, but it is still the single most effective way to prevent the spread of sickness onto living room furniture or elsewhere.
- Use removable couch covers – this makes clean-up a breeze and you can even get them custom made at an affordable price if you don’t have any. They even make allergen proof covers these days.
- Avoid carpeting, or use rugs – machine washable rugs are best if you have carpeting floor, even in low traffic areas.
- Vacuum often – make sure your cleaner has a High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filter to keep all allergens outside of your breathing air once sucked up.
Following these simple tips will keep your couch a place that the entire family can enjoy without you losing your peace of mind. But if all else fails, there are always brand new sofa couches for sale to help you make a fresh start!