Make Your Corner Sofa The Hero Of The Living Room With These Design Tips
Corner couches are the cornerstone of the modern living room for the established family. They’re great for parties, where many different people can find a place to sit. They’re also perfect for relaxing with the family; you and a loved one can each stretch out and get comfortable while watching a movie together.
But in a small or unconventionally shaped room, it’s not always easy to pick which corner couch is going to work best. Figuring out where to position a corner couch can be a head scratcher, too.
Nevertheless, with the right know-how and a willingness to experiment, you can make a corner sofa the hero of your living room. To make things a bit easier for you, we’ve assembled some of our favourite corner couch ideas.
You don’t have to push your corner couch up into a corner
The corner of the room often feels like a natural place to put a corner couch. It is in the name, after all! However, it doesn’t have to be that way. Sometimes, the best thing to do is to pull the couch out into the centre of the room and make it the star of the show.
You might try using your corner couch to give structure to an open plan living area:
- The angles of the sofa can break-up a living space, and create different zones.
- For example, you can use your couch create a cozy nook for watching television, while simultaneously providing a distinct line between living and dining areas.
- As a bonus, when you bring a corner couch out from against the wall, you have the option of running low shelves along the back to increase your storage space.
Think about traffic and flow when placing your corner couch
Your furniture works to make your life easier and more comfortable. So, when you’re figuring out where to put a couch in a room, start by thinking about your needs. Then, tailor the interior design to match your lifestyle.
- Do you love binge watching shows, or spectating live sport? You don’t want people blocking your view. Position your corner couch in a location where your line of sight is unlikely to be uninterrupted.
- Do you have small children, but live in an open-plan apartment? Ever wish you had some way to divide the kitchen from the living room? With a correctly positioned corner couch, you can do just that.
- Alternately, are you an entertainer? You’ll want to make sure that the couch doesn’t impede the flow of your space, so that everybody can keep on mingling, chatting, and dancing?
Pick a corner couch that matches the style of the living room
There are many different kinds of living room, from the bright and colourful to the modern and monochromatic. At Furniture Galore, we’ve got a wide range of corner couches that will fit in with your style.
- Going for a chic European look? Try the Matrix Corner Lounge.
- For a plush, homely living room, try something like the Century Corner Lounge.
Furnishings and accessories can go a long way
A corner couch takes up lots of space in a room. Treat it like a blank canvas, and use it as an opportunity for design. Choose cushions and rugs that:
- Work in accent colours with your artwork, or other furnishings
- Have shapes and patterns that will resonate in the space
- Balance out other tones on the couch
Don’t just stop at colours and patterns. Make your corner couch enticing with textures that guests can’t help but reach for.
If you have any more questions about corner couches, our team at Furniture Galore would be all too happy to help. Peruse our range online, and come on down to one of our stores stores to chat couches.